Lake Nipigon Forest Management Inc. (LNFMI) has the only First Nation-run Sustainable Forestry License (SFL) in the province, and we manage almost one million hectares of forestlands in the Lake Nipigon forest region. LNFMI is owned by four First Nation communities;: Animbiigoo Zaagi’igan Anishinaabek, Bingwi Neyaashi Anishinaabek, Biinjitiwaabik Zaaging Anishinaabek and the Red Rock Indian Band. LNFMI is responsible for planning, reporting and implementing all forestry operations on the SFL.
Through the management of the Lake Nipigon forest, we are able to bring about the following benefits:
- Integrate First Nation culture into all forest management activities;
- Provide long-term sustainable employment in both seasonal and full time positions in areas such as compliance inspectors, forest operations technicians and silviculture technicians;
- Work with First Nation community members in order to address issues of concern, including alternatives to aerial herbicide spraying;
- Develop and maintain a positive working relationships with the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry;
- Develop partnerships with neighbouring facilities in order to ensure that the movement of fiber economically benefits the First Nation;
- Investigate the opportunity to establish a First Nation-owned harvesting company.
With ongoing leadership from the four First Nations, LNFMI is conducting forest management in a culturally sensitive manner as per the values and teachings of Elders. Through the First Nation-led management of the forest, BNA and its neighbours are able to generate economic and social development opportunities which it would have otherwise been unable to obtain.