Papasay Value-Added Wood Products is the new company that will run our new small volume, value-added Sawmill to be located on ‘Lot A’ in BNA’s new industrial park.
The Cedar Value-added Sawmill has been a dream of the Bingwi Neyaashi’s for over a decade. As a priority project for BNA, the Cedar Sawmill is moving from a mere plan and concept to an on the ground reality. Firstly, with significant financial investment of its own in the project, and a cedar allocation of 13,450 cubic meters, the community successfully leveraged funding from the provincial and federal government to survey the BNA industrial park, and clear Lot A for the Sawmill. In 2013, BNA successfully held a Land Designation vote in favor of the facility, and designated Papasay, the communities Economic Development Corporation, as the facility’s operator. Following the successful ratification vote, the remaining funding was released to erect the facility. Papasay has since purchased two portable Woodmizer saws, an edger, re-vamped its business plan, trained several community members to work in the facility, and has successfully applied for a kiln and new value-added pieces of equipment.
BNA and Papasay Management Corporation have identified the development of a value-added Sawmill as a manageable and feasible opportunity that will bring about the following benefits to its membership:
- Provide long term sustainable employment opportunities for BNA members and workers from around the region;
- Provide industry specific training and marketable employment skills to the membership;
- Provide short and long term spin off benefits to local and regional businesses;
- Encourage and foster business partnerships;
- Utilize the rich natural resources within the region to their full potential.
- Generate revenue for the development of the community.
The overall feasibility of the BNA Cedar Sawmill is supported by a majority of its members and has garnished the support of neighbouring First Nations and forest harvesting companies in the region.
For more details please contact us.